[MlMt] new user help

Howard Wettstein howie at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 21 02:33:50 EDT 2016

Hi Gary,
Thanks very much for the reply. I’ve got it going, better than I
feared. It’s got all my folders laid out correctly. I’m collecting
mail and able to move messages to the appropriate folders. Here are some
questions and areas I could use help with. Whatever you have time for is
fine.

1. The yellow box: Blocked 1 external reference. I’m sure it’s a
security thing but I’m not sure what or how. What’s that about? Is
there a way to turn it off.

2. Apple Mail and Postbox (I’ve used them) support rules, so that one
can move inbox messages to pre-assigned folders. I don’t see how to do
that, except with smart folders that I’ll mention in a minute.

3. Smart folders seem very useful, but I don’t know what I’m doing.
I have a pretty elaborate folder structure that was imported from a
university gmail account that I was using through Apple Mail. How do
smart folders improve on this. I’m sure they do; but I don’t quite
get it. Also, in smart folders I don’t understand what each of the
settings is all about folders, conditions, rules, etc.

4. I also don’t get tags — I use them in Evernote but not sure what
they add here, esp. with smart folders available.

5. Simpler I think: how do I italicize a phrase in composing an email. I
see that I type in sort of raw form and it’s duplicated in a nice font
below. But how to I get that font to be bold or italics, etc.?

Thanks for any hints on how to proceed.

Howie