[MlMt] mailmate not quoting/indenting properly ?

Mon Apr 4 05:52:53 EDT 2016

On 4 Apr 2016, at 9:41, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

> I'm getting reports back from a few that I send mail to that sometimes
> (not always) mails from me are not properly indented.
>
> Not sure what triggers it but seems that "Content-Transfer-Encoding:
> quoted-printable" makes a difference.

That's not it.

> I know it is a bit hazy, but just wondering if anyone seen similar
> issues.

It's a known problem. In general, I try to do everthing as simple and
clean as possible when it comes to message generation and I thought I
did the best thing possible for HTML. As many on this list know I'm not
a big fan of HTML in emails and I've tried to keep the use of it to an
absolute minimum, because it really does not work well. Just look at the
HTML generated by almost any email client (or service). The emails are
filled with nonsense which every other email client has to deal with in
some way.

The problem in this case is that MailMate generates unstyled HTML
messages. It's very simple (and space efficient) HTML with no use of
stylesheets or style attributes. This allows the receiving email client
to easily apply its default styling which would, ideally, be under the
control of its user. This is what MailMate does and this is what you see
in the preview or when receiving MailMate generated emails.

Unfortunately, many email clients have horrible defaults (huge
indentation and no vertical lines for quoted parts). I believe some even
default to a horribly looking font. This is what some of your recipients
see. Ironically, the same email clients would do just fine if the email
only contained a plain text body part.

The good news is that I'm working on a solution. I'm going to allow
styling of outgoing messages and I'm probably also going to enable it by
default. This is part of the many HTML related issues I'm working on.
And this is where the irony really kicks in: I believe this is going to
make MailMate one of the most HTML capable email clients in existence
while still only including a plain text composer...

For everyone on the list: I'm still not quite ready to make a public
test release including these features/changes, but users on this list
with heavy use of HTML when replying/forwarding/writing emails can write
me off list to get some early access to help me test it. It's an
advantage (but not a requirement) if you have some knowledge of HTML,
CSS, and MIME.