[MlMt] winmail.dat attachments

Sun Sep 13 08:17:08 EDT 2015

On 12 Sep 2015, at 20:40, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2015, at 19:41, Bill Cole wrote:
>
>> THEORY: My TNEFs are in fact special. All of the TNEFs I have on hand
>> are the product of a tangled mess of Outlook versions and maybe a
>> WebEx gadget interacting with a CommuniGate Pro server and its
>> various imperfect versions of a "MAPI Connector" that makes it look
>> like a mutant version of Exchange.
>
> Thanks for the example! I can confirm that MailMate tells me that it
> cannot find any attachments within the file.

Ok, it appears the file does not really contain an attachment. If I
understand correctly then a TNEF file can be thought of as a MIME email
with an optional set of attachments. Your file is like a rich text
message with no attachments. The `--save-body` argument tells the `tnef`
command to also look for the body of the message. This body has no
filename (by default it's `message`). The format can be plain text, rtf,
or html. In the example emails I have it's always rtf and the plain text
variant is already part of the MIME message with the `winmail.dat`
attachments. In other words, it doesn't really provide anything new.

To allow experimenting with this I've added a hidden preference which
adds `"--save-body --body-pref=ALL"` to the arguments of the `tnef`
command. It can be enabled like this:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmTNEFSaveBodies -bool YES

*I haven't released an update yet with this feature.*