[MlMt] Customising the headers view

Tue Sep 1 05:04:24 EDT 2015

On 31 Aug 2015, at 10:41, Philip Paeps wrote:

> Two questions about the headers view (the From/Subject/Date/To block
> above the
> message content that can be collapsed to a one line summary):
>
> o Is there a way to add the time zone to the Date field?  Or more
> generally
> change the formatting of the date?  I assume it's a strftime string in
> plist file somewhere but I haven't been able to find it.

It's actually hard coded and the only format is one that converts the
dates to the local time zone.

If you want to go low level then you can customize the
`headersFormatting.plist` as described
[here](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/customization). Don't forget to
copy the file to `~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Resources/Layouts/headersFormatting.plist`.

You would then want to replace the following line:

	formatString = "${#date.formatted}";

with this

	formatString = "${#date}";

But you'll get a raw date formatted like this: `2015-08-31 10:41:44
+0200`

Obviously, it would be nice if I rethought how dates work in general.
It's currently a bit messy and not very flexible.

> o Can I add headers to this view somehow?

Yes, by customizing the same file, but its format is not documented. You
can probably get far using a bit of copy/paste, but you are also welcome
to ask questions. Of course, this is very low level and I make no
guarantees that I won't change how it works some day.