[MlMt] Resetting fonts to default

John Cooper mailmate at coopercontent.com
Fri Oct 9 13:15:32 EDT 2015

John Cooper wrote (at 10:01 on 9 Oct 2015):

> Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote (at 5:27 on 9 Oct 2015):
>
>> On 8 Oct 2015, at 21:39, John Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> How can I set all the font settings back to their defaults?
>>
>> These are all the font related settings I can think of. Paste in a
>> Terminal window:
>
> Thanks. I wanted the interface to better match El Capitan's new system
> font, but it's unavailable in the Fonts pane, so deleting these
> preferences was the only way to do it.

I guess this page explains what's going on technically:

http://furbo.org/2015/07/09/i-left-my-system-fonts-in-san-francisco/

"Apple has started abstracting the idea of a system font: it doesn’t
have a publicly exposed name. They’ve also stated that any private
names are subject to change. These private names all begin with a
period: the Ultralight face for San Francisco is named
“.SFNSDisplay-Ultralight”. To determine this name, you need to dig
around in the font instances returned by NSFont or UIFont; it’s not
easy by design....As a part of this abstraction, there’s now a new
generic family name: -apple-system. The markup looks like this:

body {
   font-family: -apple-system, "Helvetica Neue", "Lucida Grande";
}

Unfortunately, it’s very poorly documented. Most of the information
I’ve found about this name comes from the WebKit source code."

I wonder if there's a way to add a "System Font" item to the font
selection menu, so we can set the system font as the preferred font
without using Terminal to delete settings?