[MlMt] A new one (SSL error ?)...

Wed Oct 7 08:30:07 EDT 2015

On 7 Oct 2015, at 14:04, Alexandre Takacs wrote:

> Just got this in one message which was successful retied on other mail
> clients (not IMAP, though):
>
> 	MailMate could not fetch the message with UID 25204 in the mailbox
> “INBOX” in the account “<redacted>”. This is not the actual
> message in your IMAP mailbox, but a message generated by MailMate as a
> replacement dummy. MailMate has repeatedly tried to fetch this
> message, but the server cannot provide it.
>
> 	On the last attempt the server error message was as follows:
>
> 	Error reading data.
> 	“error:1408F119:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:decryption failed or
> bad record mac”
>
> Now that the very first time I'm seeing this...
>
> What's up ?!

This is a new “feature”. It's an attempt to change how MailMate
handles the (surprisingly frequent) problems with some IMAP servers.
When asked to return an email I have seen servers just replying NO,
servers replying with BAD (claiming a non-existing syntax problem), and
even servers simply cutting the connecting (but only for specific
emails). Every time it requires a laborious debug process to figure out
what's going wrong.

The new approach is to catch repeated issues with certain emails and
then simply insert a dummy message explaining the problem and providing
a bit of the logs.

In case MailMate was a bit too fast claiming that a message could not be
fetched then you can force it to retry using “Message ▸ Reset...”.
You are welcome to send me details if you think MailMate was incorrect
in assuming it was a persistent problem. The error message does indicate
that it might not be a server problem, but a problem with the encrypted
connection (OpenSSL).

For the record, the old way to handle (some of) these problems were to
tell the user about the problem and provide an option to ignore the
involved UIDs.