[MlMt] Accessing MailMate mail database

Wed May 20 04:50:52 EDT 2015

On 20 May 2015, at 3:05, Sherif Soliman wrote:

> Does anyone know if it's possible to access MailMate's database** -
> the one that contains all the metadata about emails that it manages?

I guess it's possible, but it would never be safe to do so while
MailMate is running. It could also change at any time in the future.

> So, ideally I'd be able to have a data file (or several) in some kind
> of format (csv, JSON, XML, ...), with all the basic headers/metadata:
> - from
> - cc
> - date
> - subject line

The best way to generate such data would be to create a bundle with one
or more commands. I would love to have a general statistics bundle which
users could use to visualize aspects of their emails (or email
activity).

> Less ideally it would be a database in some readable but non-standard
> format and I'd have to do my own parsing with regex or other
> gymnastics.
>
> _Least_ ideally is that I would have to write a script that would go
> through all the directories in `~/Library/Application
> Support/MailMate/Messages/...` and scrape/analyze each single .eml
> file in each single directory. That would be very IO heavy and seems
> like a waste since MailMate has already done that for itself. That is
> the last resort, but I'd like to not have to do that.

Manually parsing email headers “correctly” is a *huge* task and I
would strongly discourage such an approach.

> Any tips?

If you want to explore creating a Statistics bundle for MailMate then
I'll be happy to help. We can do that off list.