[MlMt] one account (of eight) constantly displaying mailboxes as "unavailable"

Tue May 19 02:49:59 EDT 2015

On 19 May 2015, at 3:47, Michael Dunston wrote:

> One of the eight accounts I have configured in MailMate is constantly
> displaying the mailbox sources as “unavailable” every 30 seconds
> or so.  This account is my main university account, which is
> (unfortunately) no longer hosted by the university but through a
> “partnership” with Google to offer email and collaboration
> services through the Google Apps for Education program.  Curiously
> though, another one of the eight account I have configured in MailMate
> is a personal Gmail account and it does not seem to have this problem.

Based on my experience, there are subtle differences between Google Apps
and Gmail. I have no idea what they are (and I'm sure it's not
documented), but I have users on both systems which means this is not a
general issue.

> More specifically it seems that this happens at least once or twice
> per-minute, where the account mailboxes become “unavailable” for
> about 10-12 seconds, come back for about 20 seconds, and then repeat
> this cycle continuously.

Ok, that does sound bad. Here is what you can do:

* Open the Activity Viewer (⌥⌘0).
* Wait for one round of this “busy loop”.
* Use “Help ▸ Send Server Logs”.

Then I'll review the logs. I suspect it's some kind of server error
which triggers MailMate to regularly retry.

> I see a thread in the MailMate list archives from 18-Feb-2015 which
> mentions this behavior may be a known issue with Gmail for some users
> on some networks,

There has been many server issues in the past. In some cases Gmail is to
blame and in others MailMate is to blame, but surprisingly often there
is not much to learn from past experience :-)

> but so far it seems to happen on every network I’ve tried -
> including my university networks.  Unfortunately this was not one of
> the accounts I used when testing MailMate these last few weeks; has
> anyone else who has experienced this discovered any insight into the
> issue?   Would log files be of any help in diagnosing the problem, or
> is there anything else I could do to help troubleshoot this?

The logs above would help and if for some reason it's unsolvable then
I'll naturally provide a refund.