[MlMt] giving up - MailMate crash - won't synchronize

Muster Hans muster at sture.ch
Fri May 15 04:01:26 EDT 2015

On 15 May 2015, at 5:04, Thomas Floeren wrote:

>> On 15 May 2015, at 2:55, Christian Hopps <chopps at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Multi-system cross-platform access and searching.
>>
>> My imap-email has been my "cloud" like storage for a lot longer than
>> the
>> phrase "store it in cloud" has existed. :)
>
> Hmm. For this purpose I still would rather keep my mail box tiny
> (current & recent stuff) and drobbox-sync my old archives across the
> platforms. (replace "dropbox' with the service of your choice)

I had a slightly different take here 5 years ago.  I found myself
working in 3 different locations, with access to shared Windows PCs.

Yes I could access my mail through a webmail interface using those PCs
but it was a slow and clunky experience, so I created a password
protected website where I could attach files to posts, search the
contents etc and hey presto I had my own "private cloud".  This was
using Drupal 6; Drupal 7 was too resource intensive for my then laptop.

For backups I had cronjobs running on the ISP host which dumped the
MySQL database(s) and created a tarball of the directories, and another
job on my home system which grabbed those backups.

If you have a suitable desktop or server at home which is reachable from
the outside world, there's no reason why you can't do the same, and skip
the hosting ISP bit.