[MlMt] OffTopic: Server recommendations?

David Blank-Edelman david at blank-edelman.org
Thu Mar 26 20:58:28 EDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 8:29 PM, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>
wrote:

> IIRC, Zimbra is a fairly thin wrapper around postfix for the SMTP stuff
> and Dovecot for the IMAP stuff, plus some other bits that they added on.

Half right (we used the Zimbra commercial version at my last $WORK). The
MTA is indeed Postfix + Amavisd + SpamAssassin (relatively stock, so you
could tweak if you wanted to). The IMAP/POP server is custom Java code that
basically stores message data in MySQL (again pretty stock) and attachment
blobs on to a filesystem. And for completeness sake, it is using Jetty for
the frontend and OpenLDAP for the internal directory.

Unlike the previous correspondent, I actually found the IMAP server to be
pretty solid and would be curious what lead that person to dislike it
(though that may be a bit afield for this list).

      -- dNb