[MlMt] Emergency: can't disable the elipses character :|

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Jun 17 10:54:19 EDT 2015

On 17 Jun 2015, at 10:25, Mark Wadham wrote:

> If I type three dots I get an elipses character: …
>
> This is abhorrant and crazy-making, how can I make it stop?
>
> It’s not happening in any other applications.
>
> Sysprefs -> Text -> Correct spelling automatically is off
> Sysprefs -> Text -> Use smart quotes and dashes is off
> Spelling is set to “British English”
>
> If I add an autocorrect item mapping three dots back to three dots it
> still happens.
>
> I can’t see any options in MailMate prefs that seem related to this.
>
> Please help before I go crazy and trash the office?

Two clues:

1. As a member of the Church of 7-Bit ASCII (a.k.a. the "Email As GOD
INTENDED" faithful...) I somehow managed to kill off all text
replacement with non-textual abominations entirely everywhere in
MailMate years ago. Unfortunately, I can no longer recall HOW I did
this, because I am of an age that is only slightly below that of the
Holy Church's median, but have hope: there is SOME way to make it the
default.

2. In trying to *force* MM to do the 3-dot -> ellipsis replacement, I
found that it is part of the "Smart Dashes" feature which apparently is
controlled on a per-editing-window basis (!) by the "Substitutions"
submenu of the Edit menu or context menu (ctrl-click or right-click). So
a workaround for your problem would be to turn it off in every new
message.