[MlMt] MailMate and TextExpander

Sherman Wilcox shermanwilcox at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 10 12:28:56 EDT 2015

On 10 Jun 2015, at 10:00, mailmate-request at lists.freron.com wrote:

> As a data point, this is not happening for me with the
> newest
> textexpander.

Thanks. I’ve done more testing. It’s still happening to me, and it’s
quite puzzling. Here’s what I’ve discovered.

Scenario 1:
(1) Select some text for quoting. Type “r” for reply. When the new
message with quoted text appears, type Return. The problem appears: The
cursor skips back a space (back a return, actually, to the end of the
quote), “R” appears at the end of the quote. The Edit menu lights up, so
something is happening with Edit.

Cancel out that message.

(2) Try the same thing again, and the second time it does not happen.

Scenario 2:
(1) Comment out the “r” keybinding. Use Command-r for a reply. All is
well, no problem whatsoever.

So, for me, the problem does seem to be related to the keybinding of “r”
but I can’t understand what it might be. As I say, this problem does not
appear with Typinator.

HOWEVER...

In replying to this thread, I've just discovered another issue which
points away from MailMate. I decided to reply from my Fastmail account,
using Safari instead of MailMate (don't ask why). The procedure there is
to (1) Type "c" to compose a new message, (2) type in the address. When
I do this, a "C" appears immediately as I begin to type the address (in
other words, I get "CMailmate at lists.freron.com"). And the Edit menu in
Safari lights up. So this is EXACTLY the same problem. It clearly has
something to do with TextExpander on my system, because it I quit TE,
the problem goes away in both MailMate and Safari.

So... a little more exploring and I've discovered that if I turn off the
option in TE to capitalize sentences, this problem goes away. Problem
solved, for me.

Thanks to all who replied.

--
Sherman Wilcox