[MlMt] Any way to prevent auto-correcting two spaces after a period to one?

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Sun Jun 7 20:16:49 EDT 2015

On 8 Jun 2015, at 2:44, Ben Klebe wrote:

> The autocorrect is system-wide in Cocoa text fields. To change it, go
> to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text and uncheck “Correct
> spelling automatically.” Strangely though I can’t replicate this
> behavior and furthermore why would you want two spaces after a period?

Please don't open that can of worms on the mailing list!:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

Although I agree: two spaces after a period should have died with manual
monospace typewriters.

I loved the way that the DTP program FrameMaker simply refused to allow
two sequential spaces (although you could override it in the
preferences). In theory HTML won't allow it, and combines sequential
into one space, but Microsoft programs get around that using some sort
of weird ASCII fixed space character next to a normal space character.