[MlMt] Any way to prevent auto-correcting two spaces after a period to one?

Thomas Floeren thfl at me.com
Sun Jun 7 16:59:13 EDT 2015

> On 7 Jun 2015, at 20:02, Alan Goldsmith <alangoldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, was composing in Markdown.  I like two spaces after a period, though I know it's not the standard anymore.

I guess, what you effectively want is a wider space than normal. IMO typing two normal spaces is not the adequate method to achieve this (except if typing on a typewriter).

In Unicode you have plenty of different [spaces][1] at your disposal. A normal space is similar to a four-per-em space; so I would use either a three-per-em space (U+2004) or an en space (U+2002).

To make the text entry more comfortable, you could …

- assign an abbreviation (e.g. ".␣␣" --> ". ") in any of the text expanding utilities (e.g. [Typinator][2] is very good)
- assign the desired space character directly to a key, by modifying your keyboard layout (e.g. with [Ukelele][3])

--
Tom

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_character
[2]: http://www.ergonis.com/products/typinator/