[MlMt] "Correspondent" column shows wrong name

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 12:22:16 EST 2015

On 24 Feb 2015, at 11:23, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2015, at 23:22, Shoshanna Green wrote:
>
>> I just saw this (under r5063): Fred sent an email to Wilma, and also
>> cc:ed me and Barney. I'd expect the name shown in my Correspondent
>> column to be Fred, since he's the person writing to me (and others),
>> but instead it's Wilma. But Wilma isn't my correspondent; she hasn't
>> said anything to me, nor I to her.
>
> Do you still see this with r5066?

Yes and no! I scanned through a whole bunch of messages, and I can
narrow the problem down. In the one I originally saw, in which I'm one
of many Cc:s and the Correspondent column is showing the name of the
sole To: addressee, the From: header shows a bare email address, with no
name. In this case, I'd expect that email address to be shown in the
Correspondent column, but instead I guess MailMate is insisting on a
name, and falling back on the next header in line, showing the name of
the sole To: addressee, when it can't find one for the sender.

I went digging to find other messages whose From: header is a bare email
address. One has me as the sole To: addressee and also has a score of
Cc: addressees, and the Correspondent column wrongly shows the name of
the first-listed Cc: addressee when it should show the email address of
the sender. Another has several To: addressees and several Cc: addresses
(I'm cc:ed), and the Correspondent column wrongly shows the name of the
first-listed To: addressee.

Some other messages correctly show the sender's bare email address in
the Correspondent column. In one case I'm the only To: addressee and
there are no Cc:s. In another I'm one of several To: addressees (and I
forgot to note whether there were any Cc:s, sorry).

--
Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com