[MlMt] keeping sent mail with other mail

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 09:02:25 EST 2015

For three decades, I've kept track of my outgoing mail by BCC:ing
myself. When I first started using email (pine on unix systems), I don't
think "Sent Messages" were even a thing, and then they were a thing but
they filed my outgoing mail apart from my incoming mail, which makes no
sense to me. I want mail I send to be in my inbox, with other new and
recent mail, until I file or delete it. So I just kludged it with BCC.
(I can't be the only person who does this; Thunderbird has an "Always
BCC myself" preference.) But this is one of the legacy kludges I'm
hoping to clean up in a shift to MailMate.

Just yesterday I commented on ticket #213, Keep replies in same folder
(http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/213-keep-replies-in-same-folder),
which seemed like the closest I could get to this in MailMate, but which
still isn't quite right for me. But this morning it occurred to me that
MMate's experimental 2.0 feature of Rules lets me just set up a rule on
my Sent Messages mailbox that says to move all incoming messages to my
Inbox! So simple. So obvious.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do that? I've always strenuously ignored
Sent Messages folders, so if this is going to mess something up behind
the scenes, please tell me.

--
Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com