[MlMt] MailMate, Gmail and iOS/iPhone

Comic Sans comic.sans at gmx.com
Fri Dec 25 06:04:43 EST 2015

Sorry for the messed up format, I'm re-sending as text...

I've configured my Gmail accounts as documented in the manual:

http://manual.mailmate-app.com/account_setup

So basically no subscription to "All Mail" mailbox + custom "[Gmail]/Archive" mailbox.
As far as MailMate is concerned, this seems to work like a charm.

What I have problems with is setting up a mail client on iPhone that will work well with this setup.
Specifically, I'm not able to set up archiving correctly. I have tried several clients and they all seem to be too smart, as in doing things in the Gmail way and ignoring my custom archive mailbox.

Apple's Mail app seemes to be able to configure archive mailbox, but for some reason archiving or moving messages there results in them not being labelled with "[Gmail]/Archive", hence I assume the app tries to handle it Gmail way, where archived messages are not labelled.
Boxer seems to behave the same, and Outlook refuses to start if "All Mail" is not subscribed.

Any suggestions here, what mail client do you use on iPhone?

How do you set up Gmail on iPhone that works well with MailMate setup?

Cheers,
Mike