[MlMt] Feature Request: Smart Restore from Backup (maybe)

Kee Hinckley kee+freron at hinckley.com
Fri Dec 4 14:36:18 EST 2015

On 15 Oct 2015, at 13:17, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> I just had a disk go bad and had to restore from my Time Machine
> backup, which means that MailMate spotted a mismatch between its
> database and file information. Which is exactly what I would expect
> for a backup from an active machine.
>
> It offers two options. Restore from IMAP, and Restore from Disk.
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how the restore works, but I assumed that
> Restore from IMAP was the only correct solution. However, that works
> by tossing all the files in the trash and then downloading (11G) of
> mail from my servers.
>
> What I'd like is a restore option that looks at what's on disk and
> syncs it up with what's on IMAP, removing/adding as necessary. Would
> restoring from disk have done that? Or would that be a new option?

I don't think I ever replied to this. But yes, that was what I actually
wanted, I was just afraid it would not see stuff on the server, although
in retrospect that should have been obvious. "Restore from Disk and then
Update from IMAP"?

What happens if it was on the disk but had been removed from IMAP, would
it get deleted? (I guess that's the right thing.)