[MlMt] Local email archiving status/options?

Thu Aug 27 11:33:51 EDT 2015

On 26 Aug 2015, at 1:33, Brian Scholl wrote:

> (And I'm also glad to learn from Bill Cole about the formail shell
> option
> to produce the .mbox file directly; I'll play with the date stuff and
> see
> how close I can get with that too.)

Try out the new Export bundle if you go down this path.

> But I do hold out some hope that maybe we can still convince Benny to
> just
> hold his nose and provide an IMAP-folder-to-.mbox command in MM
> itself.

Well, the `formail` command meant I did not have to deal with the `mbox`
format myself.

> Maybe this will happen if we all just keep politely asking for this --
> especially if we intimate that otherwise we will be using Mail.app as
> a MM
> utility, and/or that we will be poking around in MM's local files
> despite
> the warnings?

:-)

> Bill Cole wrote:
>> As someone who has retained email for 20+ years including a
>> substantial
>> spam corpus (it's a professional focus) I share the desire for a
>> local,
>> integrated, purely private, and reliable mail archive.
>
> That seems like another great example.  Benny, would you really just
> recommend that Bill keep 20 years of SPAM online?  (I'm worried that
> the
> answer will just be an enthusiastic 'yes!', but that seems like an
> unacceptable option to me.)

My answer is that I don't recommend that, but this is a special case and
Bill is able to work around this limitation of MailMate. As Bill notes
MailMate can use quite a lot of resources when used for very large
message stores. Even though I have reports of more than 1 million emails
handled by MailMate I didn't design MailMate for this use case.

I really do believe most users should stick to a clean IMAP setup
(myself included). I don't want to make it too easy to avoid that, but
I'm aware that I cannot prevent users from working around this
limitation and as you have seen I also answer questions related to it.