[MlMt] Local email archiving status/options?

Thu Aug 27 08:39:09 EDT 2015

On 25 Aug 2015, at 23:59, Bill Cole wrote:

> Isn't mbox great: one always has to specify a particular tool's
> flavor...

Yes, this is why I've been reluctant with respect to implementing mbox
export. Thanks for the `formail` trick. Now I can just blame an external
utility.

> (Tangent: Senior mail admins are insanely over-represented on this
> mailing list.)

Maybe they are the only ones still using mailing lists. I'm still
considering alternatives which include a web interface. In particular,
[GroupServer](http://groupserver.org) and
[Groups.io](https://groups.io/static/features).

> Another approach I've played with but not really exercised hard is a
> zombie "IMAP Account" permanently offline as a local archive. The
> connection settings don't work and never have, but I can create
> folders and subfolders and MM creates the directories just as it would
> for a normal account. Benny has vaguely warned that this might not be
> a reliable approach, but I think that's only because it has no backend
> and ultimately would be lost if MM decided its local cache of messages
> was not to be trusted.

Yes, also the fact that moving a message from an online account to an
offline account doesn't work as the user might expect. MailMate is very
strict about not deleting anything from a source account until **after**
the destination is synchronized (the message is uploaded). This never
happens for an offline IMAP account.

> Tags may not work also...

They work, but are also lost if the MailMate database is corrupted. This
might be improved when I finally get around to mapping tags to OS X file
metadata.