[MlMt] (OT) Re: Local email archiving status/options?

David O'Donnell david at davidbodonnell.com
Tue Aug 25 13:48:47 EDT 2015

On 25 Aug 2015, at 13:14, Helen Holzgrafe wrote:

> We also use Apple Server mail with Mailmate.  Because there are two of
> us we use an older mac as a designated server machine, but you can use
> Apple server on your own machine to host your own imap mail and use
> your own disk drive as a direct mail archive. For $20 for Apple Server
> software and possibly a cheap outboard disk drive (that you probably
> have already), you can avoid limits pretty much anywhere. We have our
> own mail domain, but you can use a mix of your own accounts just on
> your server and real accounts like Google mail and move messages
> between them.

I have the latest versions of Server available to me (and five fixed IPs
from my ISP)—which is one of the reasons why I am sticking with
10.6.8. Apple did away with mailing lists, Webmail, MySQL, and Apple’s
quite-functional Server tools to control the server and users, in Server
10.7 and later. Replacing MySQL is trivial, but so far I have not found
a usable replacement for Squirrelmail and from what I’ve read Mailman
is quite a challenge to get running, too.

--
![](http://fates.org/2014-09-dbo-sig.png)