[MlMt] Local email archiving status/options?

Helen Holzgrafe helen at holzgrafe.com
Tue Aug 25 13:14:40 EDT 2015

We also use Apple Server mail with Mailmate.  Because there are two of
us we use an older mac as a designated server machine, but you can use
Apple server on your own machine to host your own imap mail and use your
own disk drive as a direct mail archive. For $20 for Apple Server
software and possibly a cheap outboard disk drive (that you probably
have already), you can avoid limits pretty much anywhere. We have our
own mail domain, but you can use a mix of your own accounts just on your
server and real accounts like Google mail and move messages between
them.

We were using Postbox (and Eudora before that) and .mbox files. Then, my
.mbox files got bitrot of some kind and ultimately Postbox could not
read many of them.  It took much work to translate more than 340000
messages archived for 20 years that were somewhat garbled, but I did.

On 25 Aug 2015, at 7:58, David O'Donnell wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2015, at 7:03, Brian Scholl wrote:
>
>> Also, a more theoretical postscript: It seems to me that Benny's
>> reluctance to pursue any sort of .mbox export […]
>
> I can’t speak to the IMAP-*v*-POP3 debate, but I would really love
> the ability to export a series of messages as a .mbox file in the same
> format that Apple Mail does.
>
> In addition to using SpamSieve on my Mac (which is quite good), I
> maintain my own mail server (Mac OS X 10.6.8, until I am forced to
> “upgrade”) and use SpamAssassin there to try to intercept as much
> crud as possible *before* it gets to SpamSieve. Apple Mail produces
> the perfect .mbox files for feeding to SpamAssassin’s spam-learning
> routines, so periodically I have to haul Mail out, select all the junk
> that SpamAssassin needs to learn how to intercept, and File > Save
> As… (raw source) to a file that I can then drag to the server and
> run learnspam against.

OooH! A tactic I had not realized I can use!  Thanks, I will start doing
doing this right away!

-Helen