[MlMt] Local email archiving status/options?

Brian Scholl bjscholl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 07:03:15 EDT 2015

Also, a more theoretical postscript: It seems to me that Benny's reluctance
to pursue any sort of .mbox export or local folder option stems from the
notion that such things are intrinsically in opposition to the entire
notion/purpose of IMAP.  For example, in one of the ticket replies about
such things once upon a time, he wrote: "MailMate really is IMAP only and I
don't have any current plans to change that. Essentially (if you think
about it), 'On My Mac' support is the same as supporting POP3. Messages are
only temporarily stored on the server."

That doesn't seem right to me.  Embracing the IMAP worldview but then also
limiting the size and complexity of online accounts by periodically
allowing them to be culled to local-only long-term-storage archives doesn't
feel the same to me as just using POP3 in a different way.  Conversely, it
seems like allowing for a local .mbox export (or something like that) in MM
wouldn't be some sort of betrayal of its underlying nature.  Rather, it
would just be a way for users to adapt true day-to-day IMAP usage to a
longer-term archiving practice.

(A concrete example: I teach classes at a university, and during each
semester I will accrete huge online IMAP folders with emails relating to
those classes.  But then once the relevant semester has finished, I just
hate the idea of keeping those folders online forever.  Even just the sheer
*number* of such folders would become awkward and distracting over time,
not to mention the messages they contain.  But I also don't just want to
delete those messages forever -- since maybe once per year I'll have a need
to dive into a previous semester's folders to find something.  So this is
practice some sort of betrayal of how I'm supposed to use IMAP?)

Do others feel similarly?  Am I just thinking about this the wrong way?

-Brian