[MlMt] possibly unpopular feature request

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Aug 13 12:13:58 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I think that the way that threads are presented in MailMate is precise
and good, and it appeals to the part of my brain that still remembers
using Mutt.

The rest of my brain (the part that over a course of years has been
lulled into expectations of rich text and Apple UIs) now thinks that it
is cumbersome, however. In order to make the preview pane readable, I
need to collapse big threads (think hundreds of messages). When a new
message appears in the thread I need to expand it again and poke around
to find out which sub-thread has the new mail.

I like to see new mail at the top of the list, not the bottom. Perhaps
that's part of my problem, since new mail in expanded threads in
MailMate are arranged the other way round).

The way that Apple Mail handles threads (new messages at the top of the
conversation, no attempt at the mutt-style threading of individual
replies) actually works far better for me than the way that MailMate
currently does things. Again, I appreciate that my brain is broken and
that I am wrong about many things.

What are the chances that there could be a configurable option to use
Mail.app-style presentation of threads as an alternative to what
MailMate currently does?

(Note for the record that simply switching back to Mail.app is no longer
an option, since MailMate has given me expectations that mail clients
should be fast and efficient, should not stall randomly and in
particular should not invent thousand-message threads out of unrelated
nonsense for fun.)

Joe