[MlMt] Can mailmate support my workflow

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Apr 28 15:55:23 EDT 2015

On 28 Apr 2015, at 14:40, Ralf Weber wrote:

> Moin!
>
> As some of my friends moved to mailmate and mail.app is giving me a
> hard time at the moment I am considering to switching my UI mail
> reader to mailmate. However reading up a bit on it and started playing
> with it I am not sure if it can support my workflow or if I have to
> change that, which might be hard as I want to continue to use mutt as
> a non UI mail reader.
>
> So here's how my mail works today:
>
> - All mail (including a lot of mailing list traffic) come to my INBOX
> (multiple accounts).
> - I then read that and based on certain criteria have rules that I
> execute on a keystroke (mutt with marcos, mail.app with Mail-Act-On)
> it is sorted into certain folders
> - I know that mail mate has smart folders, but as I want to continue
> to use mutt I need the mails in real imap folders and not just
> virtual.
>
> Is it possible to create that workflow and if how (pointers
> appreciated)?

It should be possible using MailMate's custom key bindings. You can bind
keys directly to specific "moveToMailbox:[mailbox-UUID]" actions or
the "applyRules" action, although a precise replication of your current
workflow might not be obvious or elegant with the current implementation
of Rules.

If I'm understanding you correctly:
1. You want all new mail to stay in INBOX until you've read it
2. You may choose to run one of many different rules on a message based
on your human judgment. Which rule is run is determined by a single
keystroke.
3. Each of your rules examines each message passed to it and decides
programmatically to move it to one of many different folders, depending
on features of the specific message.

That would be tricky but not impossible to set up with the current Rules
implementation since there is no direct access to individual rules via
keystroke, only to sets of rules associated with a mailbox (Smart or
IMAP) and rulesets are applied to messages when they are added to a
mailbox. I see Benny has already suggested one approach as I was
thinking about this, but you also might consider creating a set of
mailboxes that exist solely as Rule receptacles, and use key-bound
moveToMailbox commands to drop messages into those intermediate
mailboxes, each of which has a ruleset that does the "real" move.