[MlMt] Customizing Bundles

Tue Apr 28 03:31:30 EDT 2015

On 27 Apr 2015, at 20:28, Joshua Kehn wrote:

> I'm working on expanding the MailMate -> OmniFocus flow. In
> particular, I'm customizing the AppleScript to “intelligently”
> either create Inbox tasks (quick replies, further planning) OR full-on
> projects inside folders (like, for example, when a JIRA ticket comes
> in, I want to setup a project in a client's folder to handle that).
>
> Now that I've roughed out how this should look from a script
> perspective, how do I get that into MailMate to start testing? I've
> symlinked the folder into the bundle location and that isn't being
> picked up by MailMate

The best approach is to fork the bundle on Github and then clone it to
the Bundles folder. I guess I should describe that in more detail :-)
(I'll also provide a simpler solution further below.)

I'm going to assume you haven't used Github or git before:

* Create an account at [github.com]()
* Go to the [OmniFocus
bundle](https://github.com/mailmate/omnifocus.mmbundle) github page.
* Click the Fork button to create your own repository.
* Now make a clone of your forked copy:

		~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Bundles
		git clone https://github.com/<your github user
name>/omnifocus.mmbundle.git

* Make your changes.
* Test your changes.
* Learn how to use `git` ;-)
* Commit/push your changes using `git`.
* Optionally, send me a pull request for any changes of general interest
to OmniFocus users. Alternatively, you can share your changes with
co-workers by having them clone your forked copy of the bundle.

Now, if you have never used `git` and don't want to then here is the
quick approach:

	cd ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Bundles
	git clone https://github.com/mailmate/omnifocus.mmbundle.git

Now you can make all of your changes locally. (Note that it should not
be necessary to relaunch MailMate when you make changes.)

I hope this helps.