[MlMt] gpg2 path?

Christopher LILJENSTOLPE mailmate at cdl.asgaard.org
Tue Apr 21 17:52:58 EDT 2015

Greetings Bill,

	I had also already come up with 1, but I agree with you, !elegant.  I
will try and set the environment variable, and see what happens.

	Christopher

On 21 Apr 2015, at 13:58, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2015, at 13:28, Christopher LILJENSTOLPE wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> 	I've moved off of GPGTools, and am running the current gpg2 tooling
>> from GNU (brew package, if anyone is interested).  However, it seems
>> as if the GPGTools path is stuck somewhere in the system for the path
>> for gpg2.  Any hidden variable where I can change that path?
>

> [CAVEATS: I am not Benny.
>    Everything below is conjecture based on a few minutes of
> investigation.
>    My advice is worth every penny you've paid for it :)]
>
> The Release Notes say that the path to gpg2 was originally hardcoded
> to /usr/local/bin/gpg2 and later the "default" was changed to
> /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin/gpg2 but there's nothing I can find anywhere
> documenting a way to change or override that default. However, a bit
> of grep work indicates that the places in /Application/MailMate.app/
> where the strings MacGPG2 and gpg2 occur (in the main binary and the
> OakMIME framework library) are near the string MM_GPG, which appears
> to be used as a variable name based on its context, probably imported
> from the environment (quirky!) This suggests 3 possible approaches, if
> your homebrew binary is at /usr/local/bin/gpg2:
>
> 1. Symlink the hardcoded name to the working one:
> sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/gpg2 /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin
>
> 2. Set the MM_GPG environment variable via launchctl. There are 2 ways
> to do this:
> a. Manually as needed, once per login session in a Terminal session:
>  /bin/launchctl setenv MM_GPG /usr/local/bin/gpg2
> b. In a launchd .plist (in ~/Library/LaunchAgents/) which runs the
> command above every time you log in. The details for constructing a
> launchd .plist file are readily available via 'man launchd.plist'.
>
> 3. Set the MM_GPG variable for MailMate with defaults:
> sudo defaults write com.freron.MailMate MM_GPG -string
> "/usr/local/bin/gpg2"
>

> Given the context around 'MM_GPG' in the 2 files it occurs in, my
> guess is that (2) will work but (3) will not. It is unlikely for them
> both to work. (1) will almost surely work, but it is inelegant.

李柯睿
Avt tace, avt loqvere meliora silentio
Check my PGP key here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.asc
Current vCard here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.vcf