[MlMt] Vi Navigation - Thread

Kai Großjohann kai.grossjohann at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 04:52:34 EDT 2015

If you store the attached file as `~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Resources/KeyBindings/Kai.plist` and then select custom
keybindings and enter "Kai, Gmail" into the text field, then you get
`h/l` support amongst other things.

![](cid:C39260B4-9DCE-4FAF-881E-5F8EA993918A at gmail.com
"PastedImage.png")

I've been inspired by both Gmail and vi/vim, but I didn't take them
literally.  So besides `h/l` the other keys might not be exact.

* `d` for delete is not something they do but it just made sense to me.
* `/` for entering the search field might be the default now, I'm not
sure.
* `m` to mark as read or mark as unread made sense to me but I'm not
sure if it's faithful
* I've used multi-key bindings inspired by `g g` in vim for various
related things:
   * `g h` to go to the list of mailboxes
   * `g g` to go to the list of emails in the current mailbox
   * `g m` to go to the message view -- I never use this I now realize
   * `g a` to go to the first message -- this is an Emacs analogy with
Ctrl-A for beginning of line...
   * `g z` to go to the last message -- in Emacs it would have been
Ctrl-E for end of line, but if a is the first, then z must be the last
   * I don't think I've ever used `g /`, as plain `/` works
* Uppercase `Q, W, E` were alternatives for `g h, g g, g m` but I never
use them
* I couldn't find a good binding to show the list of "From" identities
when composing a message, and I think not all bindings work, so I
settled on Ctrl-O as a compromise, but it's hard for me to remember this
one, I keep searching
* `q` to close the current window was an analogy from `less`

It might be easier to see how to extend it if you have examples.

Kai