[MlMt] SMTP Timeout

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Sep 8 14:43:00 EDT 2014

On Sep 8, 2014, at 11:56 AM, Bill Cole <mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:

> You forgot to mention: one of the most uniformly respected and liked participants in the often prickly  history of that community.

Thank you very much.  However, I think you're the first person, and only known person so far, who feels that way.

While I recognize that the community was certainly prickly and divisive, I am not convinced that I was part of the solution.

I am convinced that I am better off no longer being an active member of that community, and I feel that the community is probably better off that I am no longer there.

> Many people use MIMEDefang for AV as well, via Perl's File::VirusScan bundle (written by the same author.) I don't do that myself because there is nearly nothing for AV to catch after spam filtering and content policies that MD itself can enforce cheaply, such as "no stacked or executable filename extensions in attachments."

Even though *nix boxes can't really get infected with computer viruses per se, there are other malware vulnerabilities they do have that can be effectively scanned for, and they can certainly provide a good place to do scanning for all types of known vulnerabilities.

Few places can afford to take draconian action and say "No e-mail attachments", and these days virtually any type of binary file could potentially be infected with some sort of malware.  So, if you do have to allow some types of attachments through, then I feel it is best to do anti-malware scanning on what does pass.

Not that I necessarily pay attention to my own advice all the time, of course.  ;-)

> The main reason I use MD instead of amavisd-new (which has a much bigger Postfix audience) is that my first Postfix system was one I migrated from Sendmail with MIMEDefang already in place. It is probably true that amavisd-new would be a better choice for many people since it has a larger community of Postfix users and a longer history of use with Postfix. There are no compelling capability or performance differences between MIMEDefang and amavisd-new that I know of, although they hook into Postfix quite differently.

I'm not opposed to MIMEDefang, I just don't know much about it other than what I've heard from other people.  Since what I have heard has been pretty good, I would certainly be more than willing to take a deeper look into it, if there was a specific reason for me to do so.

Otherwise, my preference would be to reach for the tools I already know and not have to learn something new in this space.

I'm an old dog, and while I would like to think that I can still learn some new tricks, I know that I am slowing down and I want to make sure that I keep at least some capacity in reserve for future use.

> That's the heaviest lift for almost everyone I've evangelized to MailMate, no matter what MUA they are coming from. Unfortunately, I think a rule importer would be a massive time-sink to implement usefully.

Moreover, it still wouldn't help with the problem of pushing the rules to be executed on the server, so I would really be better off figuring out a way to port Mail.app rules into Sieve.