[MlMt] MailMate 1.8 released -- last week

Fri Oct 24 11:13:14 EDT 2014

Hi MailMate users,

here is a small update (newsletter?) on various MailMate related
subjects.

## MailMate 1.8

It happened with little fanfare, but version 1.8 of MailMate was
released just before Yosemite was released (which was also the
motivation for doing it). It was a major release since the previous
release (1.7.2) was getting close to being a year old. [The release
notes](http://updates.mailmate-app.com/release_notes) of the 1.8 betas
are several pages long. In my own opinion, there is a lack of major new
features, but fixing bugs, making small changes, and adding minor
features are also important parts of moving forward — and I've done a
lot of that.

I recommend reading the related [blog
post](http://blog.freron.com/2014/mailmate-1-8-released/). It also
answers a few common questions.

## Latest test release (r4587)

Speaking of new features, the latest test release has 3 new features you
might want to try out:

1. The Signatures preferences pane now allows each signature to be
assigned to a set of email addresses. This should help users to more
easily separate personal and work related accounts when the dynamic
signature system is not adequate.

2. I've often been asked for a shortcut to add a “Cc” or “Bcc”
header to a message. Based on a user suggestion, you can now hold down
⌥ when hitting enter and then MailMate automatically creates the
“next” header. For example, when editing the “To” header,
hitting this shortcut adds the “Cc” header (and moves the focus).
Doing it again, adds the “Bcc” header. This also works in the
“Subject” header triggering “Send Later” to be displayed.

3. Support for OAuth 2.0 for Gmail. I wanted to know more about this
authentication method since Google seems to be pushing it as their
primary authentication method. I ended up implementing it. See the
release notes for how to enable it and let me know if you need OAuth 2.0
for any other server.

Hold down ⌥ when clicking “Check Now” in the Software Update
preferences pane to get the test release.

## Hire a Graphics Designer

In the blog post for version 1.8 I mention a somewhat unusual way to
support the future visual direction of MailMate. I haven't pushed it
very hard (not even mentioned it on Twitter), but you can read more
about it
[here](http://sites.fastspring.com/freron/product/graphicsdesigner).
I've been asked for some kind of progress indicator, but that is tricky
when the graphics designer hired might not want the price publicised.
The best I can do is to tell you that currently a small number of users
have contributed ~6% of what would be needed for the “main
priorities” mentioned on the contribution page (app icon, toolbar
icons, and mailbox icons).

## Immediate future

I've previously mentioned an experimental 64 bit release of MailMate. It
still doesn't auto-update, but the latest release can be downloaded
[here](http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_yosemite_64bit.tbz).
It still uses much more memory than the 32 bit version, but I expect
that I'll soon switch the main development to the 64 bit version. I'll
write on the mailing list when that happens.

Have a nice weekend and thank you for using MailMate!