[MlMt] An EXISTS response decreased the number of messages. This should never happen.

Kai Großjohann kai.grossjohann at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 15:31:45 EDT 2014

On 20 Oct 2014, at 15:08, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> The technical part: The error means that the server tells MailMate
> that the number of messages is smaller than it was reported earlier
> on. This should never happen according to the protocol since any
> decrease of messages must be reported with so-called `EXPUNGE`
> messages. On the other hand, an EXISTS response can increase the
> number of messages (and this is in fact how new messages are reported
> via IMAP).

Sorry if I'm slow.  What happens if two clients connect as the same user
to the same server, one of the clients deletes messages and expunges
them, then the other client does `EXISTS`?

I guess in this day of smartphones, two clients connecting as the same
user to the same server is not that uncommon.

Kai