[MlMt] creating a smart mailbox that is choosy about attachments

Jason Davies ophiochoslists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 06:08:00 EDT 2014

Dear list

I'm throwing myself on your mercy trying to sort out a smart mailbox. My
colleagues have recently all taken to including a graphic, usually (but
not always) called image001.png. It's beyond them to have it inline (as
I do:)).

However these colleagues also send me a lot of attachments that I need
to be able to find fairly quickly. I've been trying to create a smart
mailbox that

- contains messages from a particular set of individuals (that bit I can
do!),
- contain attachments that are NOT image001.png (or image002.png)

Sometimes these messages have the image AND a Word file (for instance,
or pdf), sometimes they only have the Word file (etc).

I thought this would be fairly straightforward but seem not to be able
to get the logic right. This is partly because X-attachment-type doesn't
work as I expected (I thought I could write 'docx' in there but that
returns nothing).

The smart mailboxes I've tried usually build like this:

Meet all conditions

1. Identify the people
2. Check there are attachments at all ('Attachment-Count' 'exists')

AT this point I have tried to think how to check what you could write as

If attachment count is 1
and attachment name is image001.png
then exclude from smart mailbox

But I can't translate that successfully into smart mailbox rules.
Sometimes there are multiple word docs, for instance and there may be a
signature graphic - or not.

I'm currently trying it by having multiple smart mailboxes which is the
only way I see to exclude things but that is also not turning out as I
hoped...;)