[MlMt] Trying to understand tags/folders for GMail

Jonathan Clark jonathan at clarksonline.me.uk
Fri May 23 18:38:07 EDT 2014

Hi,

I've been using MM for many months with GMail, but decided it was time to
try out the new feature that appeared some months ago. From the release
notes at the time:

Recently, I implemented a workaround in MailMate for the problem of
> multiple labels. It is currently an experimental solution and you can
> enable it following the instructions in the release notes for version 1.7.
> In short, MailMate can be told to handle specific Gmail labels as if they
> were tags. If a label is handled as a tag then MailMate automatically
> ignores the corresponding IMAP mailbox. Tags are already supported by
> MailMate (no integration with Mavericks yet) and uses IMAP keywords on
> standard IMAP servers.

This has left me a little uncertain about what I should change, and what
the end result will be. As it might well be the same for others, I thought
I'd ask some questions about it here, before I dive in and make some
changes.

I have about 30 GMail "folders" based on the topic of the message, and I
move email to one and only one of them as quickly as possible, if it needs
to be kept. I also have "_todo" and "_waiting" folders that I also often
copy messages to alongside the other folder.

I'm guessing that I should be moving the folders "_todo" and "_waiting" to
be tags, leaving the others as folders? But what are the practical benefits
of this? It's not as if my current method is really broken.

Thanks,

-- Jonathan