[MlMt] External Editor To Compose Messages?

April Mains aprilmains at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:12:19 EDT 2014

On 19 Mar 2014, at 1:48, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2014, at 0:21, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Billy Youdelman <billy at mix.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Greetings -
>>>
>>> I'm curious if anyone besides me would be interested in a MailMate
>>> option to
>>> use an external text editor for composing messages?  After about 40
>>> years of
>>> using DEC's keypad controlled text editor, and having recently taken
>>> the VMS
>>> cluster down, this is something I now really wish I still had
>>> available.  I
>>> do have a very decent emulation of it (jed) running on OS X, and
>>> it's easy
>>> to call, at least from non-GUI programs.  But, MailMate is far
>>> superior to
>>> mutt, et al., so I thought I'd see if there's enough demand to make
>>> it worth
>>> implementing.  As well, Text Wrangler/BB Edit are wonderful editors
>>> for
>>> those who prefer GUI tools, and there is no shortage of other good
>>> character
>>> cell and GUI text editors.
>>
>> These are already available. If I'm not mistaken, there are bundles
>> that allow you to edit/compose a message in Aquamacs, TextMate and
>> SublimeText and you can take these as inspiration for creating a
>> bundle for the editor of your choice.
>>
>> The mailing list has more info about these. The most recent thread
>> about this topic starts here:
>> http://lists.freron.com/mailmate/2014-March/002186.html
>>
>> If you search the list, you should find some more.
>
> I actually wanted to try use these but haven't figure out how ;/
>
> Anyone got a quick info on when to actually run the command ?
>
> I know i can do it *on* the actual already open mail message but that
> leaves me with a 'dead' window ;/
>
> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

I use a Keyboard Maestro macro described and linked to on TUAW
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/30/replicating-quickcursor-using-bbedit-and-keyboard-maestro/

It is set up for BBEdit but I think you can adjust it to other to use
other editors. It is meant to mimic the old QuickCursor and seems to
work all right after the first run.

April