[MlMt] Solution to the "Reply to HTML" problem?

Kee Hinckley kee+freron at hinckley.com
Thu Mar 13 08:02:11 EDT 2014

> It would be possible (if the user prefers top-posting), but it's not certain that all receiving email clients/services would handle it well. “Forward as Attachment” is also often

I think having an option to reply with top-posting, and then merging the HTML resulting from the markdown with that of the original message, is the best solution. Making it remember the preference per-domain would probably be good. That handles the "must preserve HTML when replying to work" case.

You will need to include your CSS in the result, since you'll have to force your markdown-generated HTML to have it's own style. You'll also need to make some of your CSS selectors more specific so they override anything the original message did. Outlook, for instance, sometimes mucks with the paragraph spacing.

This is essentially what I'm doing with my HTML replies, except that I'm including the raw HTML in the compose window since that's the only way I can make it work. I have it set to only do that for mail from my work.