[MlMt] Resetting the database.

Fri Jun 6 04:05:17 EDT 2014

On 6 Jun 2014, at 4:04, Scott A. McIntyre wrote:

> I don't know if it's Yosemite, or the "closing the search box opens a
> new window" bug, but, MailMate has crashed, hard, for me today -- for
> the very first time.

The 2 crash reports I have received related to this appear to show that
this started with a problem loading part of the database (the values
related to a specific header). In theory, such crashes (or any other
non-hardware-crashes) should never lead to database corruption since
MailMate is able to roll back to a safe state, but obviously this
doesn't seem to work in this case :-(

The only known issue in relation to this is that crashes in the composer
can lead to database corruption when MailMate tries to restore an
autosaved draft. I'm still having trouble reproducing and fixing this,
but it appears to be unrelated to your issue.

> Upon restart I was asked how to rebuild, and now it's stuck in a loop
> of
> rebuilding from cache, crashing, and restarting.

I'd like to get more information about this, but that's probably best
off list.

> Does anyone know what the Right Way is to, as a last resort, start up
> and nuke all known cached data and re-download everything, painfully,
> from IMAP?

It can be done as follows:

1. Rename (or move) `~/Library/Application Support/MailMate`.
2. Create a new `~/Library/Application Support/MailMate`.
3. Copy some or all of the `*.plist` files from the old folder to the
new folder (if they are not suspected of causing the issue). This
includes account settings, signatures, tags, and smart mailboxes. Note
that the account-related files `Sources.plist`, `Submission.plist`, and
`Identities.plist` must be copied as a group.

The simple approach is to just do step 1. Non-account related
`plist`-files can be copied later (when MailMate is **not** running).

Note that the old folder would still allow you to switch back to
reproduce the crash-loop if you have time to help me investigate the
issue.

Sorry about whatever caused this problem in the first place.