[MlMt] Automatically stored attachments

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Jun 4 08:15:06 EDT 2014

On 30 May 2014, at 16:26, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 30 May 2014, at 5:11, Gary Hull wrote:
>
>> By the way, the Attachments column in the list shows both attached
>> files, and attached images used in HTML e-mail, things like company
>> logos. In general I don't care about the latter, and when I'm
>> scanning for e-mails with attachments it's just noise to see those
>> listed with the paper clip icon.
>
> It's unfortunately not easy to distinguish between attachments and
> logo-attachments. In theory it should be, but in practice it isn't.
> (I'm not saying it couldn't be improved though.)

I hate to disagree with you, but in theory it is actually impossible
without perfect semantic analysis of all languages to determine why an
image is embedded in a particular location and visual analysis to
determine its content value.

It's not that I doubt your capacity to attack that problem, but it would
eat a lot of effort. I hope you'll be satisfied with "better" and not
chase perfection in analyzing mail that is fundamentally evil anyway.

(HTML email delenda est)