[MlMt] Seen/read status not preserved when importing local folder

Sat Jul 26 11:40:21 EDT 2014

On 26 Jul 2014, at 0:21, Sherif Soliman wrote:

> I'm helping a friend import her old email into MailMate. She has some
> inboxes of exported messages (On My Mac) from Mail.app that she wanted
> to import into MailMate.
>
> The inboxes have lots of unread as well as read messages. However,
> when we imported those inboxes into MailMate (using File > Import
> Messages...  > Select folder + Use destination for all messages), all
> the imported emails were unread.
>
> Why is the seen/unseen status lost?

Because this information (and other flags) are not saved with the
messages when exporting from Apple Mail.

> Is there a way to preserve the read/unread status of all those
> messages when importing?

I usually recommend setting up the same IMAP account in MailMate and
Apple Mail. Then move the messages by moving the On My Mac mailboxes to
the IMAP account in Apple Mail. MailMate automatically fetches the
mailbox and its messages when synchronizing the account.

This not only preserves the read-state, but also other flags such as
$Answered, $Forwarded, \Flagged, $Junk, and $NotJunk.

Note that MailMate does not support local mailboxes like those in On My
Mac. This means that MailMate would be uploading the messages to an IMAP
account anyways.