[MlMt] Perverted Smart Mailbox idea

Bram Heerink personal at bramheerink.nl
Wed Jul 23 17:39:29 EDT 2014

On 23 Jul 2014, at 16:32, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 22 Jul 2014, at 15:46, Bram Heerink wrote:
>
>> I use plus forwarding to be able to see which websites are sending me
>> e-mail. For example personal+amazoncom at bramheerink.nl. Then I was
>> thinking about the Example Mailing List Smart Mailbox which has a sub
>> folder for each list-id. I was wondering if this could be done with
>> the + forwarding label. But then you need regexp's in the MailMate
>> query system or something implemented for the plus part. Some
>> thoughts about this here?
>
> As Torsten already replied then this is possible. It would also be a
> nice addition to the default set of specifiers and I'll probably add
> that when I've returned from vacation. It shouldn't take long to add.
> The hard part is probably to choose good names for these specifiers
> :-)

Great! I was hoping for this reply. I have read the details about
Torsten's hack and started up a plist editor but I got a headache of all
the regexp voodoo. I will however study your implementation :)

About the name:

> Some mail services allow a user to append a tag to their email address
> (e.g., where joeuser at example.com is the main address, which would also
> accept mail for joeuser+work at example.com or
> joeuser-family at example.com). The text of tag may be used to apply
> filtering and to create single-use addresses.[8] Some IETF
> standards-track documents, such as RFC 5233 refer to this convention
> as "sub-addressing". However, many websites' automatic form validation
> scripts or software will reject + as an invalid character in the email
> address.

I would propose `subuser` and only implement i think the + sign.

Have a nice vacation.

~Bram