[MlMt] Warn sending encrypted mail about unencrypted subject

Thu Jul 17 02:51:39 EDT 2014

On 16 Jul 2014, at 18:58, Luca Allodi wrote:

> I may be wrong but aren't subject lines public by definition, like
> user names? Think indexing and archiving.

It is certainly useful for indexing/display, but if the receiving email
client can decrypt the subject line then that would not be a
(theoretical) problem. Also note that a subject line is not even
required to [exist](http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6).

If a standard for encrypting the subject-header (and maybe other
headers) existed then it should probably just require the headers to be
moved into the encrypted plain text body part of the message. Email
clients supporting the standard could then use these headers to replace
placeholder headers (for example, `Subject: Encrypted`) and email
clients not supporting it would still be showing the real headers as
part of the body of the message (ok, then it's a problem when displaying
an HTML body part, but HTML is always a problem). I don't think anything
like this is very likely to ever become standardized behavior, but I may
be wrong.