[MlMt] Converting Apple Mail offline messages (was: Noises)

Bob Stern bob_stern at mac.com
Fri Jul 11 03:36:05 EDT 2014

>> Richard I Cook MD wrote:
>>
>> 3. Any advice on what I can do with my 20GB of offline mail messages stored by Apple Mail?

> Fredrik Jonsson <frjo at xdeb.org> wrote:

> You can get an e-mail provider that allow you to store that mush or set up a local IMAP server. I do the later and it works really well but it is some work to set up and maintain.
>
> Running dovecot as a local only IMAP server on OS X <https://xdeb.org/node/1607>

I believe Apple's "On My Mac" (local-only) mailboxes do not conform to the MBOX standard even though they have an .mbox extension.  To avoid grappling with this, you might want to buy Emailchemy ($30), which will convert your Apple mailboxes into various standard mailbox formats.  It also includes its own local IMAP server, so you don't need to learn how to configure dovecot.  It is quick and easy to setup.

http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/

I recommend initially testing Emailchemy by converting just a single folder before you tell it to convert your entire "On My Mac" mailbox.

Bob Stern