[MlMt] Do we need a better way to disable text/not-really-plain?

Thu Jan 16 11:45:39 EST 2014

On 15 Jan 2014, at 15:02, Bill Cole wrote:

> Which is why MM generates a multipart/alternative message with
> text/plain and text/html parts when one enables Markdown.

True, I had forgotten about that, but the sender can omit the HTML part
without turning of Markdown, as Benny said.

> Most critical is URLs. If I wanted URLs automatically hidden from me,
> I wouldn't have MM set to prefer plain text and maybe I wouldn't be
> using MM at all. I'm a bit disappointed that they are made active
> (i.e. "clickable") without any clear way to turn that off, but I am
> well-trained to avoid the habits that make that really risky

Something that might help is a custom style sheet that makes links
really stand out. (I forget what they look like by default.)

> (OTOH, if something evil grabbed control of the ability to send
> keystrokes with 'Full Keyboard Access' enabled...)

Clicking links in e-mail would be the least of my worries in that
situation. :-)

>> I can only speak for myself, but I think the implementation is great.
>> Plain text is easier to write, nearly universally portable, and uses
>> less bandwidth, but (rendered) HTML is much nicer to *read*. So
>> it’s the best of both worlds.
>
> That's a very subjective judgment

I was clearly trying to pass it off as objective truth when I said “I
can only speak for myself”.

> with an embedded fallacy behind the conclusion. Because any reasonable
> HTML mail composer creates a multipart/alternative container for the
> HTML version of the message and a plain text equivalent, the fact that
> you happen to compose in Markdown (which gets used as the plain text
> version) uses more bandwidth than if you were to use something that
> sent pure HTML.

Absolutely right. Like I said, I had forgotten about the optional HTML
part that gets sent along with the Markdown. I have it enabled, since
most of the people I deal with are using Outlook.

>> The only thing I would change is that switching to the plain text
>> alternative should show the original Markdown as written. If that
>> were the case, I think the “Prefer plain text” Viewer preference
>> would make MailMate behave the way you want.
>
> No, it does not. If it did, I would not be bringing this up.

I’m aware of that. I thought it obvious that I was describing desired
behavior, not current behavior.

> I'm not really open to arguments that I shouldn't want message parts
> labeled as plain text to be displayed as plainly as possible rather
> than parsed for markup.

You’re not getting one. Not from me, anyway.

This is exactly the “desired behavior” I laid out. When viewing the
plain-text part (whether by default with “Prefer plain text” or by
⌥⌘[), there shouldn’t be any parsing.

(In the case where there is *only* a text part, and it’s identified as
Markdown in the `Content-type` header, clients that support automatic
rendering should behave as if there are two parts. That would allow us
to switch between the two representations and/or see the preferred one
by default.)

> I will spare you the arguments for why HTML email is fundamentally
> wrong and dangerous.

I know them. I used to make them. But when it became clear that some
sort of “rich” e-mail was here to stay, and MS-TNEF was one of the
more common ways to do it, HTML seemed pretty good all of a sudden.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/