[MlMt] undo

Fri Jan 10 08:45:10 EST 2014

On 9 Jan 2014, at 15:54, David N. Blank-Edelman wrote:

> I have a quick UX question/observation. I can see arguments on both
> sides for this, so I'm curious if this is an intentional choice. I
> often read my mail from the built-in "Unread" smart folder. As I read
> mail, I delete it as I go. Sometimes if I'm not thinking, I'll press
> delete and then a split second later realize "oh, I do want that
> message". I then reach for the undo keystroke (command-Z).
>
> The Undo command at this point will indeed undo the deletion but I
> can't tell because it never returns the message back to the Unread
> folder (i.e. if I want to see the message again I have to switch back
> to, say, the Inbox folder). There's no UI indication that the Undo
> Delete Message command has succeeded and somewhat worse, I don't get
> the message back in front of me immediately which is presumably what I
> want.
>
> I realize that there are two things happening here. First, I've landed
> on a message and that has changed the "Seen" status of the message and
> second, I've deleted the message (presumably that's an IMAP \Deleted
> flag being applied to the message and then hidden from view). The Undo
> is perhaps legitimately just undoing the second operation and so the
> message doesn't deserve to come back to Unread. Still, the heart wants
> what the heart wants and in this case I'd love to see the message back
> under my cursor after an Undo. I realize this is such a little thing
> in such an awesome program but I've now noticed it a number of times
> in my first couple of weeks of using MailMate in earnest so I'd love
> to ask about it.
>
> Benny, would you mind commenting on this?

It's an interesting problem and you described it very well. Originally,
a message would disappear from the “Unread” mailbox as soon as it
was marked as read. This is computer-logic, but naturally it didn't work
well in practice. Instead MailMate now jumps through hoops to avoid
behaving like that.

I think the ideal behavior is that the message returns to the folder in
its read state. I'll think about how it can be implemented.