[MlMt] newbie question - Large Google Apps archive - limited local space

Thu Feb 27 15:00:19 EST 2014

On 26 Feb 2014, at 14:57, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2014, at 4:56, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Yes, the following folder can be considered a cache where it is
>> always safe to delete files:
>>
>> 	~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Attachments/
>>
>> Attachments are only saved to this folder when needed (e.g., when
>> using Quick Look).
>
> I need to know if this says what it seems to say: if something other
> than MM clobbers attachments while MM is running, it will re-extract
> them as needed without getting confused & whiny?

My immediate answer would have been yes, but now you made me think about
it I remember a problem: If message A saves an attachment with filename
X and the attachment is deleted from the cache by the user then message
B could use the same filename X to save a different attachment. If
opening the attachment of message A at a later time would then open the
attachment of B.

I consider this a bug although I have not documented that it should be
possible to delete attachments (but I've suggested it in emails in the
past).

> That is very useful information which I can't find in the
> documentation.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't document it.

A workaround for deleting *all* cached attachment would be as follows
(first quit MailMate):

	rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/MailMate/Attachments/*
	rm ~/Library/Application\
Support/MailMate/Database.noindex/Headers/#attachment-name.*

This makes sure that MailMate no longer thinks any attachments have been
saved to disk. (I didn't test the above!)