[MlMt] Too many simultaneous connections

Wed Feb 19 05:58:17 EST 2014

On 19 Feb 2014, at 11:35, Bob Koss wrote:

> I have the latest beta. This morning I was greeted by the "Enter
> password
> for..." dialog where it reported that I had too many simultaneous
> connections.

Just for the record, this is what happens from the perspective of
MailMate: The server rejects the authentication attempt (username and
password) and then MailMate informs the user with the opportunity to
update the password.

The “too many simultaneous connections” text is a human readable
string from the server that MailMate just brings to the user without
knowing its meaning. Unfortunately, MailMate cannot use this to
determine what the problem is since it could change at any time. It
might even be a localized string.

> Clicking OK only makes the box reappear. Trying to bring Gmail online
> produces the box again. Closing MailMate and reopening also doesn't
> work.
>
> Gmail hiccup or MailMate problem?

Google (and most other IMAP providers) has a maximum limit on the number
of simultaneous connections for a given Gmail account. The current limit
is 15 I believe, but each device/email client might use multiple
connections. Also, I've seen the Notes application use multiple
connections since it stores notes on an IMAP server.

MailMate uses a maximum of 3 connections for an IMAP account. The latest
beta should also be able to automatically reduce this to 1 connection if
there are any authentication problems, but I'm not 100% sure this works
as expected.

In other words, try to reduce the number of connections to the server.
If it doesn't work then join [this
ticket](http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/590-too-many-connections-error).