[MlMt] Thread Arcs styling options

Tue Feb 18 05:13:08 EST 2014

On 6 Feb 2014, at 14:49, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2014, at 15:16, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Slightly off topic: The above is something I had not considered for
>> thread arcs, but I often think it would be really cool if scripts
>> were created which visualized various statistics about groups of
>> messages using, e.g., gnuplot or maybe a graphing tool for HTML. For
>> example, a graph showing the number of emails replied per day, or a
>> pie chart of top-posters on the MailMate mailing list :-) I’ll
>> assist anyone with an interest in such visualizations (or even just
>> simple tables).
>
> For both generating fancy custom thread-arcs and the off-topic stuff,
> I think [D3.js](http://d3js.org/) would do the trick. It can consume
> JSON and CSV. Check out some of the demos.

I did do this and I played a bit with it, but I quickly realized I would
spend far too much time on it if I'm not careful :-) In case someone
else wants to play with visualizing email stats I've attached a simple
example bundle. Based on the selected messages, it creates a donut
visualization of the email clients used (top 5). It's based on the donut
example found [here](http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/3887193). It's not very
surprising for this mailing list (the hidden names are iPad, iPhone, and
Apple Mail):

![](cid:DDBCC549-BCC5-4C03-AA05-B5633E0976AA at freron.com "Screen Shot
2014-02-18 at 11.00.41.png")

The bundle requires the latest test release. Put the bundle in
`~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Bundles/`, select some messages,
and then hit ⌃v to generate the donut visualization (opened in a
browser).

I'll be happy to help anyone with an interest in exploring the potential
of visualizing email statistics.

(Minor warning: Working on this I noticed some bugs/inconsistencies with
respect to how MailMate handles missing header values.)