[MlMt] Bad GPG signature when sending emails

Manuel Kreutz manuel at 140.am
Mon Feb 17 17:30:27 EST 2014

On 14 Feb 2014, at 6:20, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2014, at 1:09, Manuel Kreutz wrote:
>
>> Looking at the string GPG2 used to sign and validate, it appears the
>> two character difference is a new line character "\n" around the
>> characters and attempting to validate the email content + PGP
>> signature via the command line works fine afterwards.
>
> Thanks for the detailed report. In theory, I should be able to
> reproduce by simply sending a signed message to myself, but I don't
> have this problem. Based on your description, it sounds like a newline
> might be inserted during transport, but that doesn't sound very
> likely. In any case, try comparing the message in Sent Messages with
> thee message you receive. Is there any difference?
>
> If they are equivalent: Try using “Message ▸ Reset” on the sent
> message. That should then, in theory, trigger MailMate to also fail on
> the sent message.
>
> If they are not equivalent: Not sure. Maybe we should look into if the
> SMTP server plays a role.

First of all - thanks a lot for responding so quickly Benny!

Comparing the Raw Message in Sent Messages vs. what I received shows the
same difference of a new line added right before the "--=_MailMate_"
meta tag starts. For lack of sleep reasons I unfortunately did not
consider the SMTP server being the issue, which it turns out to be..

I am using MailJet(.com) as SMTP across all my mail accounts, which is
apparently messing with the body of messages and effectively breaking
GPG signing:

- https://gpgtools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/65764/tickets/700
-
http://support.gpgtools.org/discussions/everything/12600-messages-show-with-invalid-signature

Thanks again for the response and my apologies for not ruling out the
delivery side of it. Time to change my SMTP setup :)

Have a great week

-manuel