[MlMt] New user asks: What is best feature?

Thu Feb 6 15:40:12 EST 2014

On 6 Feb 2014, at 9:39, 1611mac wrote:

> Background:
> I have used used Apple Mail (currently handling 6 imap accounts)
> pretty much for it's whole existence.

I used it when it was still
[NeXTMail](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTMail). What do I win? ;-)

> Situation:
> I'm evaluating MailMate before I purchase.

Besides using the application, I recommend just reading [the
manual](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/) “cover to cover”. It’s
not that long, and you’ll get a sense of what’s possible.

> Best feature for me in Mail is "Rules" which I use to move mail into
> sub-folders. This is normally based on "sender".

It’s not an option for everyone, but I prefer to do this sort of thing
on the server (so things are arranged when I read on a phone where
organization matters even more). So I can’t comment on the “rules”
abilities of one over the other.

> I frequently have to search for emails based upon words found within
> the body.

I’d say MailMate wins pretty easily here. You can set up the default
search just the way you want, and even configure the search interface to
appear with a single key.

> 1,)  If you used Apple Mail in the past, what is the best feature in
> MailMate that shines above Apple Mail?

Hard to say, but I’ll go with the thing that really got my attention
at first: Being able to write in plain text (Markdown), but have the
recipient see something more pleasant[^1] while *also* preserving the
original text as I wrote it for those who prefer the text alternative.

The one thing I miss from Mail is the ability to read an entire thread
in one view. All the messages would be there, clearly separated. A lot
of the garbage in top-posted messages would be obscured, and messages
would be marked as read automatically in a somewhat predictable way.

> 2.)  What do you consider the best overall feature of MailMate? As a
> new user of MailMate, what should I be sure not to miss?

Two questions with different answers. :-) Some smaller not-to-miss
things:

   * Selecting folders with ⌘T and moving a message to a folder with
⌥⌘T
   * Look at the smart folders under Examples. What you can do is pretty
impressive. The Mailing Lists one in particular. I’ll admit I don’t
use it though, since it doesn’t help me when reading mail on a phone.
   * It’ll try to prevent you from talking about an attachment and not
sending it. (In fact, I’ll bet it warns me when I send this.) I
don’t send many attachments, but I think this is a great idea.

[^1]: With the exception of quoted text, which looks terrible by
default. It looks fine to *me*, because MailMate lets you apply a style
sheet on the client side. We will hopefully have a way to style outgoing
messages one day.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/