[MlMt] I see AOL has joined Yahoo in setting their DMARC policy to 'reject'

Kee Hinckley kee+freron at hinckley.com
Wed Apr 23 11:31:01 EDT 2014

<http://postmaster-blog.aol.com/2014/04/22/aol-mail-updates-dmarc-policy-to-reject/>

For list members, this means that if you send to a mailing list from
Yahoo or AOL, and the person reading the mailing list is on AOL, Yahoo,
Google, or other sites honoring DMARC headers--they aren't going to get
your mail (and worse, the mailing list owner is going to get bounces,
which might auto-unsubscribe you).

For list owners, this basically means that either:

1. Your mailing list makes no changes to the body of the message in any
way and passes through the DMARC headers. (I think this works, leastwise
I've heard on the NANOG lists that posting to NANOG from Yahoo works if
you do text-only (they discard the HTML).

2. Your mailing list sets the From: header to a local address (e.g.
no-reply at yourdomain) and puts the user's address in the Reply-To.

Needless to say, if you're used to sorting mail by user, deleting mail
based on the from address, or other common operations in MailMate,
you're in for a rude surprise if the mailing list does #2.

I'm mentioning this here mainly because I suspect it's may mean subtle
changes in how MUAs handle lists.