[MlMt] Stuck in "rebuild DB" loop

Rob McClure sharkez at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:37:00 EDT 2014

Benny,
No replies from me in the middle of the night ;-)
MM is now back. First the re-build loop:

* Yes, I do have rules enabled so that may have been part of the issue.
* In my case the error dialog would appear noting an email that could
not be found and at the same time the database corruption dialog would
appear. They seemed to be independent activities because the DB re-build
could be launched and run with the error dialog still up.
* When I tried to clear the error dialog, I would get a SBOD that
required a Force Quit of MM.
* When I eventually looked at the message folders that corresponded to
the error, the message ID was not in the folder. Not sure if that meant
the emails had been "removed" or what. Interestingly, as I kept
re-trying to get out of the loop, the message ID in the error would
change.
* Now that I have apparently solved the problem by re-downloading from
the server, I see that the message folder has the set of messages I saw
just before using the re-download approach and then additional messages
that have IDs with much higher (say ~2x) numbers. So it did re-download
messages that apparently "disappeared".
* Since I didn't look at the email library until after trying the cache
method of rebuilding, it seems using the cache process must have done
something that resulted in messages disappearing?

As for the original crash, as I noted, this happened when I was adding a
third email address to the To line and the potential list of acceptable
addresses was partially off-screen, essentially onto my other monitor.
I'm not saying the multi-monitor issue was involved because I have had
MM crash adding additional addresses to the To list a few times in the
past week, like Roland. He might be correct that this is when the
additional address (3rd seems right) causes it to add a line. None of
the issues you've listed for known DB corruption are in play so this is
a new situation. But what was unique was that I had had the crash occur
a couple of times and no corruption until the last one with the
off-screen situation, but that could be unrelated. I do use DropBox but
it's not backing up my Library or Applications. No evidence of a time
machine issue but I didn't look to see if it was running. No antivirus
software.

I'll update to your next version.

Rob McClure
sharkez at g